Complacent P

You would think I'd have something better to do my time. I don't.

Monday, September 27, 2004

The Fried Oreo or the Twinkie??

I had been hearing lost of talk about theLA County Fair this summer. The most frequently talked about was the various fried foods that it had to offer. Well, that and the 30 different foods on a stick. My curiosity was peaked when I heard things like twinkies, candy bars, oreos and even white castle burgers were being fried to perfection!!! So like every normal human being I have an affinity for all things fried and I decided to go.


After already eating a chili dog, some orange julius and even some fried artichoke hearts, my friend Amy and I had hit the motherlode and found the booth with the brunt of the fried stuffs. We ordered a fried twinkie and an order of fried oreos. Here is my comparative review of both.



FRIED OREO: I was a bit apprehensive at what taste might come from a fried oreo but as soon as it was laid in my hand I could tell it would be a glorious experience. The order was a set of 4 batter covered oreos cookies, which I did not expect. They were fresh from the fryer because I could feel their heat warming my hand through paper plate. The first bite surprised me. I expected to have the cookie crunch immediately but what I got was a soft warm delectable heaven. The cookie had melted into a soft brownie-esque consistency. The covering batter was delicious because it was similar to funnel cake. And to top it all off all the cookies were covered in a warm chocolate topping with sprinkles. I would even go so far as to say that this might be one of my top 5 favorite desserts. Everyone should give this a shot!

FRIED TWINKIE: When ordering the twinkie we were given an option of chocolate topping or strawberry. To be honest, there was no topping that could improve the taste of a fried twinkie. We had decided on the strawberry topping because we knew the oreo would be very chocolatey. The twinkie was fried as is. So basically, you had a regular twinkie with a slightly crispy outside. When I cut into the twinkie, the creamy goodness was no longer goodness. It slightly looked like an excretion that I care not to share. As for the taste, it tasted like the chemicals that let it have a shelf life of 100 years. The popularity of this fried fair food was totally lost on me. Boo to the twinkie!!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Between concert reviews and food critiques...we're really embracing the blogging aren't we? And just to let you know, I'm thinking of making your "Boo to the twinkies!" my quote of the day...good luck!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home