Complacent P

You would think I'd have something better to do my time. I don't.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

I may not have a job but...

you can't beat being in another country and learning from the cultures around you. I'm in Hanoi, Vietnam now but I just came back from Cambodia where I was in Siem Reap to see the wonders of the Temples of Angkor. Simply amazing. The poverty is very striking and cannot and should not be ignored. It was only 10 years ago that the people suffered through civil war and continue to suffer some of the ravages that from that war. 1 out of 275 people are amputees and still today 40-50 people a month become victims of the landmines from the war. But through this strife, you can see a sense of hope and what is to come. There is a great feeling of life among the people. I highly recommend coming to Cambodia before the onslaught of tourism becomes that of which has happened to Thailand. In Siem Reap alone, hotels are going up at a rate of almost 2-3 new hotels a week.

Anyway....Disney still sucks and I'm off to Halong Bay soon.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger PONG said…

    Lovely, this shot is awesome! I envy you P.

    Semperfi.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger Joel said…

    When I left Siem Reap just a few years ago, they were building 4 or 5 huge resort hotels. Are they complete? Did you watch the sun rise over Angkor Wat?

    Have fun!

     
  • At 4:31 AM, Blogger my lollipops are sweeter said…

    i heart your optimism, pammyslut. ew, and i'm jealous!! i want to go on overseas vacay!!....hope you are enjoying the rest of your trip!

     
  • At 5:41 AM, Blogger pamcakes said…

    Hey Joel...yea there are some major resorts up!! There's this one right near the center of town that looks like its straight out of Vegas!!! With Fire Pillars and everything. Seems very out of place.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home