Complacent P

You would think I'd have something better to do my time. I don't.

Monday, January 24, 2005

All Baby'd Out.

I went to my 3rd Baby Shower ever this weekend and I've had my fill. And can I also mention that this is my 3rd in the last 6 months. Its official, the wave of weddings that filled my twenties has now passed and has moved onto the wave of baby production. I love my friends and the babies that will soon come out of their yayas but the whole shower thing is pretty taxing. If you've never been to one its basically women of all ages playing baby themed games, eating and watching as the pregnant mama tries to bend over and pick up another gift to unwrap. The first shower that I went to was actually pretty fun because I was a newbie to the whole extravanza. But this last one had me wanting to run for the trees. Another pregnant friend, sharon, and myself ended up at a table with 2 other women that we had never met before. Actually, other than the host and her family, my friend and I had only known each other at the shower. So with the small talk, I realized that these 2 women were stay at home moms with 2-3 kids each that they keep reign on. They asked us if we were moms. My friend Sharon said she has one on the way and I said nicely that I had none. From here on in, anything I said or did was pretty much ignored. I mean totally and utterly ignored. Its like anything I had to say was totally moot, even if it was about the food we were eating. Sharon would try to bring me in on the discussions but the MOMS swiftly changed the subject to babyfood and diaper preferences. I know I'm not part of the mom club but seriously be a little nice ladies.

Thank God it was time for the games. 14 unlabeled jars of baby food were brought out to the tables. It was each persons job to taste and smell each jar while trying to successfully determine was flavor it was. The MOMS upped their annoyance factor on this one. Mom #1 knew for sure that it was Apricot because her little Kylie would spit it up all the time and stain her bibs with it. Mom#2 was adamant that the beige paste in a jar was obviously Ham because her little Max adored the Gerber Ham and the shape of the jar told her it was a level 2 food. I let them do their thing while I took a bit too much enjoyment in taste testing the vanilla custard. Which by the way I got right, but they took credit for answering. Needless to say, the know it alls got only half of them right. They apparently got all the meats wrong. At this point, I could really care less with a tummy full of custard and cups fulls of the champagne punch.

I think all in all baby showers can be fun. My only advice to those out there planning one...a seating arrangement would be nice. Divvy up the childless from those with child. Or better yet just dont invite the annoying.

4 Comments:

  • At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sounds horrible...hopefully Kristy's won't be like that ;) j/k

     
  • At 10:19 AM, Blogger pamcakes said…

    I'm sure Kristy's will be fun. For goodness sake, its gonna be in Vegas right?! ;)

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe I should have poker tournament instead of a baby shower... you guys still have to bring me gifts. -k

     
  • At 11:24 PM, Blogger pamcakes said…

    As long as there is gambling..I'm happy as can be.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home