Complacent P

You would think I'd have something better to do my time. I don't.

Monday, November 29, 2004

book club?

So I joined a book club. Am I old or what? Holy cow. Actually, its worst than joining book club. I helped to create the book club. I am old. Myself and few old friends of mine are big readers and we usually end up reading the same books because we just borrow them off of each other when we are done. We usually end up talking about the books we have all ready anyway. It was decided a month ago that we would do this. The book? Persuasion by Jane Austen. We all love her so we decided to go with one of the books none of us have ever read. Dude, I'm old. Are book clubs passe? I mean Oprah has one and book clubs were mentioned in the last episode of Deperate Housewives. Are we riding on the fringes of an older peoples' fad? Is this the Ugg Boot of my generation? I feel like I'm pretending to be old. Seriously...the plan on Sunday when we meet is to meet at a posh tea place in the South Bay, sit around with our tea, scones and clotted cream and discuss the greater nuances of Jane Austen's last writing endeavor. Somehow, I can't picture myself doing it with a straight face. Kind of ridiculii. But at the same time...I'm kind of excited by it. I think it would be fun. We even have discussion questions all prepared. I don't know. I think I've crossed the line to old already. Its late and I have no idea what I'm talking about.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Cathy said…

    NEVER!!!!! Book clubs are not a sign of aging (as is a Bridge Club..a game which I will never learn how to play). Book clubs are also not passe. They are a forum for literate, intelligent humans to resurrect the importance of quality literature...which is something that pop culture has stolen from society. My name is Cathy and I am pro-book club for the modern woman!! Ha. But one suggestion...wine...it makes book club meetings so much more enjoyable!

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Damn...Cathy beat me to it. I agree...book clubs aren't an 'OLD' thing...they're a 'SMART PERSON' thing. Ain't nothing like some stimulating dialogue about meaningful literature. Having said that, I've never been in a book club...ergo, I'm stupid, but young!

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger pamcakes said…

    eWa and Telenovela(cathy) you are both right. I don't know what I was thinking. It is the intellectual(wo)man's club. I should be proud to be part of it. And I am. I mean...I was very excited when my friends and I first thought to do it, so why shouldn't I still be excited. And WINE will end up playing a big part in the festivities I think. ;)

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger anon said…

    I'm all for reading and discussing books, but Persuasion? I'm probably not making any friends here since you've already expressed your love for Austen, but I'm of the opinion that if you've read one Austen novel, you've read them all. I'm just curious, not trying to be contentious, but where are the greater nuances in Persuasion?

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger pamcakes said…

    Well Death...Ill fill you in on the nuances when I finish the book. As of now I'm not quite done. I actually should be trying to finish it up right now. I know there are alot of non-austen fans out there, but I'm a sucker for anything from the georgian period.

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger anon said…

    Fair enough. Just so you know, I'm not an Austen-hater. I count Emma among my favorite books. It's just that they all of her novels have the same setting, discuss the same social class and have the same je ne sais pas. But I'm starting to sound contentious again.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home