Complacent P

You would think I'd have something better to do my time. I don't.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Memorable Moment



















This pic right here was the best moment of my whole trip. Well the best before it was tainted with the truth of the situation. 3 of us were on a hired boat driving through a vietnamese floating village in Tonle Sap Lake in Cambodia. It was at this point that we got to the opening of the Lake through one of the tributaries. The sky and lake melded into one big wall of greenish-grey and I could imagine how people used to think the world was flat. I sat in quiet just amazed at what I was witnessing. Out of nowhere 3 kids in there basins, used as boats, came barreling through the water with their makeshift oars. The girl said a few words in Vietnamese so my vietnamese fluent friend Jen responded to her. The girl was a little surprised that she spoke her language but preceded to entertain Jen with whatever story she had. The girl then asked Jen to ask the 2 other foreigners to give her money. We thought she was cute enough and gave her few Riel on the condition that she share with her 2 brothers. She basically said "No Way Jose" and left as quick as she came. After we gave her brother a little something too, we left our funny little encounter.

It was here that reality set in. As we were heading back to dry land, we noticed that there are these "basin kids" everywhere. I'm talking everywhere. And all of them asking for a little bit of change. I would have liked to have helped all of them out but seriously the numbers were out of control and there was only so much small change and bills that I even had. The more daring ones grabbed onto our boat, hitched a ride, and gave us the puppy dog eyes. I give props to the original 3 kids, because they probably scoped out the best spot on the lake!

For those who don't yet...I'm back in the Valley hizzy.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Empathy Spurs Man's Journey of Giving
    Roger Guyette knows the frustration and fear of losing everything. Five years ago, fire swept through his Manassas home, leaving him with nothing until the local Red Cross stepped in to help.
    Hey, great blog! I'm definitely going to bookmark it!

    I have a Adsense Empire Page site. It pretty much covers Adsense Empire Page related stuff. (And has lists of thousands of top adsense words to make money!)
    Check it out if you get time. :-)

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger pamcakes said…

    Thanks for the enjoyment!

    Although it was good to be gone..its good to be back.

     
  • At 10:18 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    super duper awesome...looks so much fun...now i wanna go to Cambodia and play on muddy waters... great blogsite btw.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home