Complacent P

You would think I'd have something better to do my time. I don't.

Friday, December 17, 2004

Simbang Gabi old skool stylee

This morning I woke up at 4:45am to take part in an old Filipino Christmas time Tradition called Simbang Gabi.

Simbang Gabi was adopted from the Catholic Misa de Gallo, which literally means mass of the rooster, to indicate it is held at dawn when the rooster crows. It is a traditional nine-day novena of Masses, which begins on Dec. 16 and ends on Dec. 24, in preparation for Christmas. This uniquely Filipino custom dates back nearly 500 years. Originally these set of masses were intended as a novena for the bountiful harvest of the next year. The masses were set at 4am so farmers could come to mass before working their fields. Soon it became an annual tradition.

Because there was no electricity to see in the early morn, the church bells would ring to notify the villagers that mass would soon start and the community would light parols to light the way to church. THESE LANTERNS WITH THEIR 5 POINTED STAR REPRESENT THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM THAT LED THE 3 WISE MEN TO THE MANGER THAT HELD THE BABY JESUS. Parols have since become symbols of a truly filipino Christmas.

After the mass, churchgoers would typically join together to eat pilipino snacks like puto bumbong, kutchinta or puto. Coffee and hot chocolate would be made to warm the body from the early morning cold. The atmosphere is truly festive with christmas carols sung and fellowship happening all around.

Although I'm terribly tired, I'm glad I made the effort to experience the tradition here in LA. As a pilipino american I hope I can adhere to some of the traditions that are so very pilipino and not forget them when I have a family of my own. To ease up on us here in the states, St. Gen's Church has made the masses at 5:30am instead of the traditional 4am. But I think you'd agree 5:30 is still a bit early. That being said there is no way I can get up everyday at 4:45 to go to mass, but I do think I will make the effort a couple of more times.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home